Friday, February 1, 2019

About My Landscape Art

The color, texture, and mood, defined by the play of light on the surface of a landscape, has always intrigued me. The contrast can range from sharp and crisp to soft and luminous, but it is always exciting, sometimes mysterious, and often surprising. The challenge is to capture it.

Having spent my early years in a densely populated area of New Jersey fenced in by buildings and industry, I sought the refuge of small city parks where I learned to appreciate the serenity and beauty of nature. As a child, as many children have, before there ever were video games,  cell phones, and iPads, I would lie down on a patch of grass and stare up at the panoramic wonder of the sky with its ever changing cloud formations. When I paint a sky full of clouds I am reminded of that childhood wonder.